Monday, February 23, 2009

Benedictine Qui Venit: The Frisco

I've a taste for whiskey- and bourbon-based drinks, and I like trying new liqueurs, so this recipe (courtesy of Serious Eats) was an excuse to acquire a new bottle of straight Kentucky rye (the cheap and serviceable Old Overholt) and to purchase my first-ever bottle of Benedictine. After I got the proportions right (one taster referred to my first attempt as a "lemony snickett"), the resulting concoction was something like a tangier, less sweet hot toddy. Quite a bit more complex, thanks to the Benedictine, but more like a mood drink than a regular presence at the table. Perhaps some judicious jiggering with proportions will produce something even better. And now that I have most of a bottle of Benedictine, I can start experimenting with more drinks that feature it.

Recipe reproduced below, with my approximations:
  • 2 oz. whiskey
  • 3/4 oz. Benedictine (1 tbsp. and a bit)
  • 3/4 oz. lemon juice (when lazy, which is pretty much always, I just call this the squeezings from 1/4 of a lemon)
If you're being all fancy, combine ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake for about 10 seconds, then pour into a chilled glass. Or you can just throw everything in and stir, the way the iceless needs must.

No comments:

Post a Comment