Monday, August 23, 2010

Roasted, Mashed Vegetables: Potatoes, Carrots and Garlic

Yes, I know it's not a very appetizing picture, but I was grumpy and hungry. And seriously, it tasted great.

I had a couple of teeth extracted last week, and am thankfully past the protein-shakes-and-pudding phase of things. Over the past few days, I've been eating a lot of chicken tinola (may (re)post my current favorite recipe later), mashed potatoes (courtesy of John) and sundry soft food. Yesterday, I found the idea for mashing roasted vegetables somewhere in a wisdom tooth extraction thread on the internet, and decided to try it. Simple, delicious, and definitely something to return to even after my mouth fully heals.
  • 2-4 tbsp. olive oil (not sure how much exactly - enough to coat the vegetables when tossed)
  • 1 lb. carrots, peeled and chopped
  • 1-1/2 - 2 lb. potatoes, peeled if you want to peel them (I didn't) and chopped
  • 1-1/2 head garlic (about 10-12 cloves), peeled
  • 6 long sprigs thyme
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1-2 tbsp. butter
  • 1/4 cup whole milk
Combine vegetables, olive oil, thyme, salt and pepper in a roasting pan, tossing till the vegetables are evenly coated.

Roast in an oven at 350 till vegetables are tender and easily pierced by a fork (1 - 1-1/2 hours).

Mash with a fork, ricer or whatever, adding butter and milk till desired consistency and richness is reached. Adjust seasoning if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment