Friday, March 12, 2010

Leek, Potato and Mushroom Soup


The soup that keeps on giving - just finished the last bit today, but it's featured in two other packed lunches this week and a few meals at home besides. The recipe is courtesy of the talented Flit, who I encountered via the Mr. Bento Flickr pool; my halved and tweaked version is below. My first attempt turned out extremely tasty, though a bit watery, partially because I had more stock than expected. Next time, I'll lessen the amount of liquid (and probably reduce what I do use a bit more beforehand); I'll probably also keep the increased leek and carrot proportions and cut down the dairy a bit.
  • 1 tbsp. butter
  • 3 large leeks, white and pale green parts, sliced (about 4 cups)
  • 2 medium-sized carrots, diced (about 1 cup)
  • 8 oz. mushrooms
  • 2 russet potatoes, diced (about 2. cups)
  • 5-6 cups chicken stock (homemade this time - next time I'll use less and reduce what I do use)
  • 1 tsp. dry dill
  • 1 tsp. dry thyme
  • 1 bay leaf
  • salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste
  • 3/4 cup half-and-half (will try less, maybe 1/2 cup next time)
Over medium or medium-low heat, sprinkle the leeks and carrots with salt and sweat in the butter till soft, but not colored (around 5-10 min.).

Add mushrooms, potatoes, black pepper, dill, thyme and bay leaf; then add enough broth to cover by 1-2 inches. Simmer till potatoes are tender (around 20-30 min.).

Remove from heat. Stir in half-and-half.

If possible, let sit a few hours/overnight, then reheat before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment