Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Afritadang Manok (Chicken Sauteed with Tomato Sauce and Vegetables)

Market Manila's discussion of this dish rightly notes that, for such a comfort food, "[o]ne shouldn’t really have a recipe...rather it is done by mood and feel and available ingredients." Nevertheless, I like having jumping off points. A quick Googling revealed a wide variety of recipes - including one with oyster sauce and ginger - but I decided to stick with the basics. The recipe below is based off this one - how could I resist an entire head of garlic to start with? It's now cooling on my stove, and both John and I agree that it tastes good - deep, almost creamy with a tang given to it by the fish sauce. Next time, I think I'll add some peas and more chicken (I only had 1.8 lbs. vs. the recommended 2.2). I'll probably throw in some bay leaves, too.
  • 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 medium head garlic, minced
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • 2 small tomatoes, sliced (may use more next time)
  • 4 chicken thighs, skin-on
  • 1 cup tomato sauce
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 2 tbsp. patis (or more to taste)
  • 5 medium potatoes, halved or quartered
  • 3-5 medium carrots, cut about the same size as the potatoes
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
  • salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot, saute the onion and garlic till softening, about 2-3 minutes.

Add the chicken and slightly brown, 4-7 minutes. Remove from pot; add tomatoes and saute till soft - 2-4 minutes. Return chicken to pot. (This came to pass because I forgot about the tomatoes; I assume it's fine to saute them along with the onion and garlic.)

Add tomato sauce, stock and patis. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 20 or so minutes, till chicken is almost done.

Add carrots and potatoes to pot. Cook till almost done - 10-15 minutes or so.

Add peppers to pot. Cook till slightly softened - 3-5 minutes. Adjust seasonings, then serve with lots of white rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment