Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Comfort Drinks: The Hot Tea Toddy

I've been home sick the past couple of days and relying heavily on the Holy Trinity of cold sufferers: ginger, lemon and honey. The first I've gotten via a large pot of chicken tinola, which I've been eating over the past day and a half with garlic steamed rice. The last two have come via tea and this nighttime version, a riff on the usual hot toddy.
  • 6 oz. water
  • 1 teabag (I used camomile, like Peter Rabbit's mom, then switched to Sleepytime when I ran out)
  • 1 oz. whiskey or bourbon (Evan Williams was fine)
  • honey (1-1/2 to 2 tsp. for me)
  • lemon juice (2 or so tsp. for me)
Boil water. Pour into mug and add teabag. Steep teabag for a few minutes.

Add spirits, honey and lemon juice; correct seasonings if necessary.

NOTE: Tip of the hat to John, who broke his too-long silence by posting the recipe to these wonderful bread-and-butter pickles we - well, strictly he, as I was still at work during the process - made.

No comments:

Post a Comment