Monday, August 8, 2011

Chicken Adobo 5: The Saga Continues


It's been quite a while since I've made adobo for myself. But now that my tweaking of the spicy souse soup recipe is almost complete (need to post the modded version soon), I'm taking a break from pig's ears (much to John's relief) and moving on to a childhood favorite: chicken gizzards. Though I found some promising recipes that involve two hours of simmering and optional deep-frying, I decided to start with the classic: adobo. Since I actually have Filipino cane vinegar and soy sauce at my disposal, I decided to tweak this recipe, skipping the sugar and salt and more than doubling the garlic. It's one of the more delicate takes on the dish, but still satisfying. Next time I'll add some pork and make a few other tweaks for extra oomph.

  • 2.5 lb. chicken thighs, skin-on (about 6 thighs)
  • 1/2 lb. chicken livers
  • 1/2 lb. chicken gizzards
  • 2/3 c water
  • 2/3 c cane vinegar
  • 4 T soy sauce
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 6-7 cloves garlic, minced (about 3 T)
  • 2 t black peppercorns

Combine all the ingredients in a pot and let sit for at least half an hour.

Bring the pot to a boil; simmer till the chicken's done (about 20-30 minutes).

Optional steps: Remove the chicken and reserve it. Bring the sauce back to a boil and reduce till it's thick enough to coat with a spoon. Brown the chicken in a tbsp. of oil (or stick it under the broiler for a bit), then return to pot.

Serve over white rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment