Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Poached Catfish with Ginger and Soy Sauce

This is one of my go-to recipes for catfish (which, as the tag cloud informs me, I eat more of than I thought): simple, quick and delicious. I can't recall if it's in the revised Bittman, but it's certainly in the first. Original recipe below, with my changes in italics:
  • 2 tbsp. peanut oil
  • 2-4 cloves garlic, minced (original: 1)
  • 5 tbsp. minced or grated ginger
  • 1/2 cup water (broth works, too)
  • 1/4 cup slightly diluted dry vermouth (didn't have any white wine, as per the original)
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • salt and freshly-ground pepper to taste
  • 1 to 1-1/2 lbs. catfish fillets
  • 2 scallions, chopped, for garnish
In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium. Add the garlic and ginger and saute till the garlic begins to color. (NOTE: Bittman reserves 1 tbsp. of ginger for garnish at the end. I didn't.)

Add the liquid and turn the heat to high. Boil till the liquid's been reduced by about half - this should only take a couple of minutes. Season to taste.

Turn the heat back to medium and add the catfish. Cover and cook till fillets are no longer translucent - about 5 minutes.

Remove from heat. Garnish with scallions and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment