- 5-6 large parsley stems
- 5-6 thyme stems
- 2 t. black peppercorns
- 1-2 T neutral oil (used grapeseed)
- 6-8 small garlic cloves, smashed
- 1-1/2 cup onion, chopped (one large one)
- 1 heaping cup celery, chopped (about 1/2 in.)
- 1 heaping cup carrots, chopped (about 1/2-1 in.)
- 3/4 cup parsnips, chopped (about 1/2-1 in.)
- 1.5 lb. chicken thighs (three huge ones)
- 1 quart chicken stock (store-bought, in this case)
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large pot over medium heat, saute the garlic, onions, celery and carrots till they begin to soften, 3-5 minutes. Add chicken, skin-side down, and cook till it begins to color (3-5 minutes), turning once.
Add the stock and the parsnips. Bring to a boil, then cover, lower the temperature and simmer till the chicken's done, about 30 minutes.
Adjust seasoning and serve.