- 1 lb. navy beans, rinsed and picked over
- 2 lamb shanks (about 4 lbs.), cut in thirds
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil (will probably omit this next time - there's more than enough fat in the finished product)
- 1 huge carrot (about 1 lb.), roughly chopped (will add more next time)
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion (about 1 cup), chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 cups liquid (hot water or stock)
- salt and pepper to taste
- boil for two minutes
- remove from heat
- cover and let stand for an hour
Drain the beans and place them in the slow cooker. Add all the other ingredients, then season (we started with about a tsp. of freshly ground black pepper and a tbsp. of salt). Cook on high for an hour (we had to leave, so it was more like half an hour), turn the slow cooker to low, and let cook for 8-10 hours (more like 12 in our case, because we slept in).
Adjust seasoning and enjoy!