The market was beautiful last Sunday, and the bags-of-mixed-veg lady ($4 per instead of her usual $3, alas, though she hopes to have the prices back down soon) had irresistible green beans and Brussels sprouts for sale.This recipe is a riff on the one in both Bittmans - just increased the amount of onion and tomato, added garlic and seasoned with fish sauce at the end.
NOTE: Apparently, I have cooked this before. While that version is good, I'm ok with the double-post because of the picture and the patis variant.
- 1.75 lbs. green beans, trimmed
- 1-1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1-1/2 cup tomato, chopped (mine was a mix of hand-crushed and diced)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup water, plus more if needed
- salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- at least 1 tsp. fish sauce (patis)
When the beans are very tender and the liquid is gone (didn't wait quite that long in this case - they were falling apart and creamy-tender about 1-1/2 hour in), they're ready. Season with fish sauce to taste.
Serve hot or at room temperature.